Canada Ready to Host the FIBA Americas Championship for Women
Canada Basketball will host the 2015 FIBA Americas Championship for Women in Edmonton, Alberta from August 9-16. The champion of the event will directly qualify to the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.
Location: Saville Community Sports Centre
Who: Ten participants from FIBA Americas zone (excluding USA)
- The Host: Canada
- The South American Teams: Brazil, Argentina, Venezuela, Chile and Ecuador
- The Caribbean Teams: Cuba, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic and US Virgin Islands
Canada will have a unique opportunity to earn an Olympic berth on home soil at the Saville Community Sports Centre - the official training grounds of the Canadian Women’s National Team.
Senior Women’s National Team background:
- Canada’s Senior Women’s National Team placed 5th in the world at 2014 FIBA World Cup in Turkey – best finish in 20 years.
- The last FIBA Americas for Championship for Women was in Xalapa in 2013, where the SWNT placed silver.
- The first time Canada played host to this event was in 1995 in Hamilton, Ontario, where Canada took the gold.
- Prior to the 2015 FIBA Americas Women’s Championship, the team will compete in the 2015 Pan Am games in Toronto.
The official tournament draw will take place at Edmonton’s City Hall at 12:15 PM (MT) on March 3. Live streaming for the draw is available. Canada, along with the nine other participants will determine who they will play in the preliminary rounds of the event.
To volunteer for the 2015 FIBA Americas Championship for Women, apply here. Full ticket information for the event will be announced later this month.
To purchase tickets for the 2015 Pan Am Games, click here.